Friday, May 3, 2013

Taking time for creativity

How is it that part of my reason for becoming a teacher is because I like to be creative, yet much of the reason I am not taking time to be creative is because I am so worn out because I AM a teacher?

Needless to say, the past four days were a much needed break from the school schedule and allowed extra time at home. We had nothing beyond attending lots of church services and celebrating child #3's birthday on the agenda. I also knew I needed to slow down and rest. What I didn't realize was how much joy I would find in just taking time to create.

First on the creative list was New England Clam Chowder. The recipe is one my mother got from a friend of hers that grew up in New England. It is pretty basic - just onion, celery, carrots and potatoes cooked in clam juice, along with the canned clams then added to a roux made with half & half. It was the beginning of the week-end of comfort food.



Next on the creative list was coloring eggs for Easter. My daughter and her boyfriend were up to the task while hubby and child #3 were otherwise occupied. We started by finally making the
Martha Stewart Egg Drying Rack. Then it was on to coloring eggs.





We used McCormick food coloring in hot water with white vinegar as directed. We tried some with rubber bands tied around it. Some we used q-tips and painted and others we put stickers on before dying.


We had a few we tried coloring by putting a few eggs in a strainer, splashed them with vinegar and then drops of food coloring. What fun! These were the fastest and easiest.





These two were my favorite. I used some tiny adhesive letters from my paper crafts collection and then just let my egg rest in a cup of egg dye for a long time. I waited until the eggs were quite dry before peeling the letters off. I used it as my Facebook greeting for Easter Sunday.

Now to finally post this after having it in my draft box far too long!
lm

No comments:

Post a Comment