Since last November when I hosted Book Group, I have thought I should make a wreath with book pages. I had a styrofoam form and, well, I have a surplus of old books I have collected. As I was finally putting away Valentine's decor last week-end, I realized i didn't have any type of spring wreath for the front door. I remembered my earlier idea and decided, then and there, to stop and make that book wreath.
Here is what I used:
Styrofoam wreath form - 16" size
Here's a link to JoAnn's where I bought my form.
An old book. I liked the size of the pages. I tried a few of my old books by tearing out a page and folding it into a cone. This one is 5 3/4" wide by 8 1/2" long. Isn't the book jacket cute? I found myself wanting to stop and read the story as I was tearing it out. I refrained and focused on my project. :)
My trusty hot glue gun with it's thrift store plate to rest on. (Yes, that is years worth of hot glue remnants on the plate. I think it helps people know I really do use it!)
The first task, after tearing out book pages, was to roll the paper into cones and staple the ends. I ended up using about 60 pages. I experimented to see how I liked the roll - tight and skinny, print which direction, torn edge out or in, and then proceeded to make lots of paper cones.
Then came the fun of hot glueing all the cones in place. I found it worked well to have the pointy end into the center just to where I stapled and then I folded it and glued it down in the middle and on the main form. I glued one row in place and then another layer on top of those on the seam formed by every two cones together. After glueing all the cones in place, I took another strip of burlap and covered those pointed ends of the cone in the center of the wreath.
I made three paper flowers I had planned to attach to the lower right inside edge of the wreath.
Here is the finished wreath on my red front door.
Here's to completing ideas and re-using books.